Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The exponential increase in everything

Have you ever noticed the increase in everything once you had kids? Well, it struck me today that things did not double when I had 2 boys. There seems to be an exponential increase in all things in my life associated with my home and family. I am home cleaning today and instead of spending a couple of hours on the house I will spend the better part of all day and night getting things cleaned and organized. This all comes from the fact that I can not concentrate my mind and efforts on any one thing with 2 little boys running around. I started with the kitchen which normally only takes me 20 or 30 minutes to clean. Well, it started with pulling the little one out of the dish washer 1/2 dozen times until I finally just marched him into the other room crying. After I left him in a heap in the floor sobbing because I wasnt letting him climb in and take a bath I returned to finish dishes. Then I hear the screech and wail that usually means there is a fight a brewing. So i run into the other room to check and make sure no one is bleeding. Both boys are fine so I return to up hill battle only to repeat the same scenerio 4 more times. I finally decided that cranky pants was taking a nap! So I am left with only 2 extra little hands to disturb everything I do. Before I started on the kitchen I seperated all of my laundry. In the span of 5 days I have accumulated 6 loads of laundry! I just did 8 loads the other day to get all caught up. So much for that. This is yet another example of the exponential increase. When it was just the 2 of us I might do 4 loads a week, now I am up to about 14 loads in less than a week and a half. So all of my laundry is sorted, keep in mind this process usually does me no good. I come in the room and my oldest is rolling and jumping in the piles of clother. So my once sorted laundry is a jumbled mess again. I will repeat this all day until the laundry is finished. With some amount of luck the laundry will at least remain in the same room! So things do not double when you have kids. You wont spend a couple of more hours doing anything you will spend all day! You wont have a couple more loads of laundry a week, you will however need a laundry mat to keep up though! How the hell does Kate (of John and Kate plus 8 do it) oh yeah she had a whole bunch of freaking helpers!

1 comment: